Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Day One

I'm currently feeling a tad ashamed about rattling off the list of texts I've read the past few weeks, because it just occurred to me that no matter how many books I lap up it's not gonna be impressive--it's just merely meeting expectations. Dr A came up to me on the first day of school, post-seminar, to ask if I've managed to get my hands on more DWJ books, and while I rattled off a couple of new ones I've managed to read, she nodded agreeably, then promptly continued, "What about this text? and this? and the other one?", (most of which I haven't yet read-_-'') and then cheerfully asked me to drop her a mail to let her know which ones I haven't already got, so she could pass them all to me. *sweats* Which recalled her comment couple of weeks ago that "You shouldn't have problems with that, they're all fairly thin books anyway." (Which is of course true if you compare them to the 500/600/700 -paged texts in my sci-fi course.)

That got me spending today finishing up Deep Secret in a hurry, thanking my stars that I am genuinely fond of DWJ's books, and that I hadn't picked something like Historiography or Modernist Literature or hard-core sci-fi or some eighteenth-century author that rattles on and on for a lifetime. Was out like a light yesterday after the six-hour intensive brain-sizzling over two heavy-duty seminars. By 4pm my head was spinning with a headache, but was nonetheless still fairly optimistic towards the coming semester, if a tad apprehensive. Dr P was absolutely hilarious in his wry, ironic comments and minor digressions, casually slipped in without so much as changing his expression. The only time you could tell that he did find his own comments extremely funny was when he pauses briefly to collect himself, the corner of his mouth threatening to twitch into a smile, as the rest of the class dissolves into laughter. I don't wonder why both his and Dr A's classes were wildly over-subscribed, even though they come together in an abysmal 6-hour Monday, starting from that awful 9am slot.

So that was the first day of school. Am taking a breather now but should probably be back at work already, so till the next post~!

No comments: