I wanted to be a vet when I was little, then a storybook author, then a journalist, then a singer, then a writer again (this little ambition has never quite faded), then an animated film voiceover, and then a speech therapist-- a thought that lingered for quite a while, because how lovely it would be, I thought, to work with kids and with people whose lives you could make better, little by little, every day... (until reality sets in and I realise that I don't have the qualifications because I am not medically trained to practice speech therapy.) And there you are, this arts student wandering in an engineering-oriented career fair, wondering where indeed she would eventually end up, peering at offers of "any discipline" that ever so often demand "driven individuals" with "strong leadership qualities". ("I don't mind being driven, really," I was telling my friend. "I'm perfectly fine with people fetching me around-- beats having to drive by yourself.")
And I have concluded, after the walkthrough, that publishing sounds like a good idea. Editing, writing, reading, gathering material... has a kind of appeal to it that "HR" and "Admin" doesn't quite offer, despite big titles like "senior", "manager" and "executive"- somethings. Or creating and implementing policies. "Policies" sound vague and bureaucratic and... I don't know, wordy--in a pompously official, impersonal way.
And then there's teaching, of course, which is becoming strangely enough almost an alluring option... for where else would words and language come alive for you, still, rather than stay as a mere tool of function? Journalism, perhaps, or public relations, communications management... Except that every one of them screams "be dynamic! be outgoing! be articulate! talk to all sorts of people!"
Have I mentioned I am scared of confronting people, that even brainstorming for a one-to-one interview for my profile assignment now gives me the jitters?
Ah well. Gotta learn.
(Oh-- then again. You think maybe mediacorp might wanna hire a scriptwriter for their drama serials? *grins*)
Well. One more year to go as I ponder... Gotta hit the books and stabilise that CAP meanwhile, and relish every remaining moment that school life offers still :)
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment