Saturday, January 20, 2007

Dilemma for my new media class project. Should I be just a staff writer or should I attempt the copy editor position on top of the usual staff writer assignments?

Copy Editor

Responsibilities include:
Collect all articles for the newspaper.
Read and edit stories.
Coordinate corrections with staff writers.
Gather art and write all cutlines, captions and headlines.
Cooperate with other associate editors
Meet all deadlines.


Extra work, certainly. On top of the graded articles we gotta submit and edit and rewrite, I'd need to help edit my lab-mates' articles as well, and be more acutely aware of deadlines than usual.

"Copy editor" and "part of class editorial board" sounds delicious on a resume, but scary in a timetable... When I contemplate the workload and weigh it against the rest of my modules I get kinda intimidated. I do want to write, and editing could be kinda fun, but is journalism really something I would eventually pursue, I wonder, when I have practically nil aggressiveness in tackling stuff, and is quite dismayed at having to be shoved out of my comfort zone (again)?

No comments: