Friday, June 18, 2004

Fire drrrrrrrill

My other diary is down! Again! How frustrating can it get? Hmmmmm.... And I had so much to say =(

Anyhow. Fire drill today was a highly amusing affair. Everyone was cheerfully abuzz with excitement when the first bell rang, and at the second bell we were making our way down the stairs, jamming at every landing as people from other floors filed out. Remarkably neat and orderly, though there was barely a whiff of urgency at all. Expected. But it was cool anyhow, "escaping" down the back stairs to another exit I never knew existed =P

It wasn't quite so cool when we got outside, though -_- At 3.30pm the sun was blazing hot~! Instinctively rolled up my sleeves the moment I stepped into open sunshine, which turned out to be a good idea cos my skin began to thaw into a reddish hue. At least it's an even tan. Hee I brought a book and my handphone down for entertainment purposes, but Reader's Digest came in more handy as a shelter than for reading pleasure. They actually posted people outside to distribute mineral water bottles to everyone... fascinating... so as we trudged upslope to the clearing behind the building, each holding a mineral water bottle, I began to get the distinct feeling of being out for a zoo excursion, with the level i/cs waving their platecards before us and the people pooling under the cool shelter of a rare tree, reluctant to move on-- "Huh? Don't want lar... why walk so far? Very hot leh!"

There are smarter ones out of the lot, of course, some armed with big umbrellas, newspapers or randomly selected brown folders to shelter or fan themselves, others looking absolutely stylo with sunshades packed from home the day before =P Serious! Midway across the clearing a lady was hurriedly bading farewell to her friends-- "Ay see you later hor, I need to go chit-chat with the rest of them"-- were more or less her exact words, which got Jud and I laughing quite hard at the sheer inappropriate-ness of it. Ll was just as cute-- after baking in the sun and getting our attendance taken she was complaining "Hey... I thought it was going to be really exciting! But this is totally not exciting at all!" Sounds like something I would say, but coming from a person who's nearly twice your age and a mother of a couple of kids only makes for more amusement. A brief gala party out in the clearing for a while, and, having decided that the fire's been put out ten minutes later, we were allowed to go back, in no order at all.

Hah~ I bet the lobby has never seen a day when it's so crowded with people from every floor at the same time. Like Jud said, MOE's not this crowded even if the Minister comes out to shake hands with the people =P Which got me asking, quite unnecessarily, "But what will happen to him if there's a real fire? He'll have to climb down over twenty flights of stairs!" She dismissed the question easily--"He'll probably not be in the building to begin with anyway" before going "Oh no! He has so little hair! How is he going to stand staying out there in the hot sun?" in a genuinely alarmed manner, as if the idea had only just occurred to her. Oh, jeez =P

And then of course, is the queuing up to be let into the lifts, in a few groups at a time, by the security guards. Can almost visualise a carnival -- "Don't push, kids, one group at a time, yes, you'll get your picture taken with Mickey Mouse, don't worry..." Goodness. I have an overactive imagination -_-

And so ends the fire drill of the year. Sure did take a long time, though it was better, and faster, than I expected =P But had we performed like that back in SN, even if we aren't already properly fried by the fire, we'll be thoroughly grilled by Mrs Goh for "taking your own sweet time...!" Ah, those lovely memories *grin* What can I say? Turned out to be a good interaction session (as it ultimately does, all the time, when you turn to a random neighbour and start to crap freely, too caught up in the fervour of the moment to even care what you're saying) Maybe we should suggest drills during practices as well *evil glint in eye* Who knows, it might perk things up a little =) Just perhaps not too close to the concert. I'm beginning to fret a little, just a little, already. Hmmm. Better get back to revising my scores. Soon. Shoo people, go and listen to your midis, and see you next prac. Do update me on whether we've got any lunch dates then k?

No comments: