I'm DONE. *beams* Now I can start studying like for the first time this semester. My first essay-free week--almost.
As if to remind me that this isn't quite over yet, last night I saw a letter from the Dept of E.Lang and Lit. And because I don't often get letters I opened it with some enthusiasm (yes, even in my mid-essay stupor) and was informed of a successful application for my independent study module, and instructed to contact my supervisor ASAP.
The first thing that came to mind was "Huh?" with the question mark, and then "Huh." with the full stop, and then "Huh!" with the exclamation mark. You must understand that the rest of my vocabulary had to be reserved for my ongoing essay then, so that was about as articulate I can get.
But now that I'm free--temporarily, of course-- it's both quite exciting and unnerving at the same time, this official confirmation letter for the ISM. I got my Children's Lit! And Dr A! =D But I really have no idea what to say to her now, really...
"Dear Dr A... Guess what? I haven't really decided what texts I want to do yet. Please don't kill me. I haven't talked my brother out of burning essay questions for me yet."
So yeah. More news on that another time, after I've summoned enough courage to speak to Dr A.
The other exciting thing that happened this week was the release of PSLE results. This year we have an astounding 294-pointer topping the level, and 15 pupils with aggregate scores between 286-288. Because there are so many of them this year, ST decided they were no big deal really, so we don't get our usual interviews with top student #2 and #3. So sad, hor, to score like 286 and people say "aiyah, 15 other people did as well as or better than you, what."
I guess that's why minimum entry scores for mid-range secondary schools have been rising, like everything else in Singapore-- bus fares, GST, property prices-- and neighbourhood schools have invariably become brand names, reaching new highs with sparkling new value-added aggregate scores.
Very scary. Spent one-and-a-half days of my non-study break carrying out research, interviews and lengthy discussions on which school to pick for my brother. It is during periods like these that you realise that kind of extensive network of friends/relatives/unknown sources your mum has. Even more powerful than my own network of schooling friends =X
I still feel a tad blah about skipping open-house talks to do essay--it's really quite fun to explore schools, you don't usually get to do that-- but my parents did manage to attend a couple and everything's decided as of now: brother is quite content, dad is approving, and mummy is convinced enough to sleep easy, so that's that.
So. On to the exams, and then to hols! (and ism proposal)

No comments:
Post a Comment