Sunday, April 08, 2007

Revising Reality

And even as each week is marked by a deadline or two, I will not count my days to the end. I will not I will not I will not.

I wonder if I would look back on this sem and remember only deadlines, frazzled days and crazy nights of one assignment after another. But given this notoriously selective memory I might not register the fact after three reminder-free months. After all, who was it who was wailing "I will never take another new media module! Never never!" and went on to spend another 500 points on a follow-up module to that one UE module that drove her crazy all the previous semester?

So that's Reality2221 (take-home point 1: don't try to be funny, Charm. don't kill yourself by going into journalism proper. take-home point 2: Charm has close to no sense of reality. my goodness, where have you been living all your life? under a stone?)

Even my Straits Times subscription has stopped on its own accord. The English newspapers ceased to arrive this month even as the Chinese newspapers make it safely to their destination, ever as reliable, and ever as unreadable. Much as I appreciate my very Chinese upbringing, my Chinese vocabulary is in dire need of revision.

You gotta pardon this increasingly frazzled narrative. I am, as far as I can, keeping the rising panic and potential shrieks out of the entry, but one glance at the upcoming week's timetable sends my nerves a tingling. *shuts eyes and groans*

I must admit though that NM is not without its credits for me. At least, at 21, I am made to read and to digest news, to actually have a slightly more accurate idea of what the 21st century is all about. *wry laugh* I am appalled at myself sometimes... I often think, if there were parallel time-space existences in this world, then perhaps I was accidentally swapped with my nineteenth-century counterpart.

Okay. After exploring all the events calendars from every faculty in NUS, and searching for possible talks at the national library and museum, I should prolly retire offline to my readings. Back to lit lit lit! Sometimes I recall with a shudder how close I'd been to going into communications studies in NTU... and I look at lit and NM breathe a huge huge huge sigh of relief.

I have only a vague idea of what tomorrow will bring, and it is with some trepidation that I flip the idea in my head, over and over, more frequent than before, as certain possibilities crystalise and others fade. Ah well, we'll see.

Shall go luxuriate in Boey Kim Cheng's poetry now =) Was never really a poetry person, but his poetry has a certain drawing element that I haven't felt before, in all those previous British poetry I've done. Might develop a taste for poetry after all (after donkey's years of doing lit, goodness) but still like prose best thus far.

So, till the next entry~

No comments: