Monday, April 09, 2007

A.I.

*sigh* Hadn't wanted to catch A.I. again, for the simple reason that it's gotta be one of the most heart-wrenching movies ever, but there it was, right smack in the prime time Sunday night slot, on a channel where either my brother or my dad would invariably flick to and settle on.

And so I was caught, reluctantly entranced, until the ending credits rolled. Even though the movie was barely half-an-hour to the end... but then again, the closing scenes of A.I. have always been the most heart-breaking =( The raw, raw emotions of a little boy aching for his mother's love, the undying trust that lasts beyond the lifespan of humanity, the immensity of loss, the transience of humanity... haven't yet lost the power to coax you into tearful empathy.

"A robotic boy, the first programmed to love, David is adopted as a test case by a Cybertronics employee (SAM ROBARDS) and his wife (FRANCES O’CONNOR), whose own terminally ill child has been cryogenically frozen until a cure can be found. Though he gradually becomes their child, with all the love and stewardship that entails, a series of unexpected circumstances make this life impossible for David.

Without final acceptance by humans or machines, and armed only with Teddy, his supertoy teddy bear and protector, David embarks on a journey to discover where he truly belongs, uncovering a world in which the line between robot and machine is both terrifyingly vast and profoundly thin. -- © 2001 Warner Bros."


If a robot could genuinely love a person, what responsibility does that person hold toward that mecha in return? It's a moral question, isn't it?



David: My mommy doesn't hate me! Because I'm special! And unique! Because there's never been anyone like me before, ever! Mommy loves Martin because he is real, and when I am real Mommy's going to read to me and tuck me in my bed and sing to me and listen to what I say and she will cuddle with me and tell me every day a hundred times a day that she loves me!


Monica: I do love you, you know.
[whispers]
Monica: I have always loved you.

No comments: