Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Am back, after a $222 fix up for the computer, which is reformatted and hence practically brand new. Am reformatting the laptop as well, and waiting to collect it.

In other news, have changed my phone number, in case you don't already know, so please email me if you need to update =)

So much tangible changes, it's kinda unsettling. I know, being all "new-age" and technologically competent and stuff like that allows a person to adapt quickly, but I can't help but feel a little... like I've lost a part of something. There is a certain comforting reassurance that comes with old familiar things, with every little snippet of memory...

Even if it's the same old familiar things that conk up randomly and give you heart attacks and retain you in school till uber late to finish up assignments.

(How do you turn off this annoying spell-check function? I'm blogging lar, not writing an article or essay, stop underlining my text!)

Not quite in the mood to blog, unfortunately... My mind seems to hinge on 'work' recently, (especially on my news reporting module, sigh... let me get back to my beloved Lit, please...) Though I must say little things like pracs do give me a much needed respite. Which again begs the question of whether or not I should apply for an ST internship to begin with, whether I'm all that cut out for journalism. There isn't that rush of pleasure that comes with reading and writing for Lit, the intellectual stimulation during lectures and tutorials, when you have something concrete in your hands --a common text, a common evidence-- that you can sift through and turn over and analyse and question and invest your feelings in.

New media requires a different kind of intellectual engagement all together. Thinking on your feet, people skills, quick responses, shrewd news judgment, extreme conciseness. I feel like a tortoise constantly prodded to run to catch up, catch up, hurry up, nobody's gonna wait for you, girl, hello, news not new anymore...

Not literally, of course. We're given that much space for deadlines, and are almost slack during tutorials, yet still the feeling persists, in annoying, random off-beats that disrupt the fluid legato rhythm that I am so used to.

Well. Enough whining to make up for the week, I guess. Gotta catch up on sleep first... then fix the feature for tomorrow.

(*groans* I'm not gonna fix sentence structure or paragraph flow. Compulsive editing can only go that far, tempting as it is to fix the blog...)

No comments: