Maude: I should like to change into a sunflower most of all. They're so tall and simple. What flower would you like to be?
Harold: I don't know. One of these, maybe.
Maude: Why do you say that?
Harold: Because they're all alike.
Maude: Oooh, but they're *not*. Look. See, some are smaller, some are fatter, some grow to the left, some to the right, some even have lost some petals. All *kinds* of observable differences. You see, Harold, I feel that much of the world's sorrow comes from people who are *this*,
[she points to a daisy]
Maude:yet allow themselves be treated as *that*
[she gestures to a field of daisies]
Maude: A lot of people enjoy being dead. But they are not dead, really. They're just backing away from life. Reach out. Take a chance. Get hurt even. But play as well as you can.
Maude: You know, at one time, I used to break into pet shops to liberate the canaries. But I decided that was an idea way before its time. Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage.
Harold: You hop in any car you want and just drive off?
Maude: Well, not any car - I like to keep a variety. I'm always looking for the new experience.
Harold: [smiling] Maybe.
[sobering]
Harold: Nevertheless, I think you're upsetting people. I don't know if that's right.
Maude: Well, if some people get upset because they feel they have a hold on some things, I'm merely acting as a gentle reminder: here today, gone tomorrow, so don't get attached to things.
Go watch Harold and Maude. It's depressing and hopeful and funny and bleak and inspiring all at the same time, it'll probably overturn whatever expectations you'll have of a romantic comedy, yet I feel somehow that there are little things that zombie people like us --so well regulated by an overarching system-- could afford to learn, little reminders on what it is, really, to be truly alive :)
*hums* if you want to sing out sing out.
And if you want to be free be free.
'Cause there's a million things to be.
You know that there are.

No comments:
Post a Comment