Friday, October 21, 2005

Still high, unfortunately, so have not progressed with my nineteenth-century essay yet. I did take to reading my twentieth-century text in order to sober myself, but Nice Work, whilst full of intertextual allusions and interesting social issues, is not quite sombre enough... In fact it's brilliantly funny and a positively delightful read =) Ooooh, I love that book. It's... curiously easy to identify with bits of uni life and lit-lectures, it has a absolutely entrancing main character, and ends off on a cheerful note. (Scrap realism, I like happy endings.) Managed to speed through Pinter's plays as well, and was left utterly mystified, and a tad regretful that I skipped lecture and tutorial to finish up work. But with the migraine last Tuesday I doubt I'd have been clear-headed enough to process and absorb information. Nineteenth century lecture that morning, for example, had weird squiggly drowse-induced notes down the margins that I'm still trying to decipher, and I don't remember anything said about Middlemarch other than the fact that it was THE Victorian novel, which means I should get down to reading it.

Which reminds me, I still have my 702-paged Middlemarch (complete and unabridged) and my 637-paged Ilium to finish up. (Don't remind me about Soci and computing, I haven't touched em yet) I have this wicked inclination to read the alien-sci-fi novel and skip the nineteenth century classic, which wouldn't be prudent at all, but I have an essay to finish, leh. 1,339 pages is not digestable in two days, I'm not so lihai, yet.

Must stop whinging and obsessing over my readings. Sidetrack a little... Apparently everyone is swarmped with assignments recently. I turned up 5 minutes early for my lit tutorial on Wednesday morning, and spent an increasingly alarmed 15 minutes alone with my tutor in class. At 10.07am Gail and I were in quite a despair, she having only one student in class, and me being the only student in class, and not THAT inclined to have a 15 min one-to-one discussion on Dickens with her and then having an early dismissal thereafter, as she proposed we do. Thankfully enough three other classmates trickled in one by one by 10.15am, relieving me of a private consultation that I hadn't prepared for. Everyone else rushing essays, I gather.

Oh, I collected the KE concert tickets from YMCA today. Refreshing break, travelling elsewhere besides home and school (gosh, I sound so sua ku), with company, too =) I love walking out along the streets without any nagging sense of time constraint at the back of my head. Puts me in a cheerfully bouncy mood. Oh, and Rendezvous last night was quite delightful, did I mention that? SnB was lovely to watch, their fluid dances moves, the ease and the grace... Food was decent, too, but not quite enough, I think... and it was one of the most relaxed performances we've had, I think. Unwell was kinda... erm, zao sia, but Sukiyaki felt good, and Techno--an absolutely spontaneous last-minute decision practiced only three-quarter times-- was quite well-liked, I think =)

Many many thanks to my fellow Rendezvous peeps and to Wai Lun for coming down with us too! Looking forward to next prac (RFYs performing!), but must rein in my hyper-ness now and settle down to study Hopkins and Arnold and Nature in nineteenth century poetry.

Till the next time!

No comments: