Saturday, October 08, 2005

Musing...

Having missed my stop on my way home the other night, it occured to me, while backtracking to my proper stop, that the last part of my 151 bus trip has three consecutive bus stops stationed beside three places of worship: a church, a temple, and a mosque, in that order, all facing the same road. It's a very heartwarming idea, I think, (even if people may disagree), that three places of worship be placed side by side, yet given enough space of their own in between... like religions can actually co-exist peacefully, and ought to, even, so long as we give ourselves and others enough space of their own, we can stand side by side as good friends, if not family, and it would be all right, still.

That's the way it should be. *sigh* Not any way else. No human-perceived issues of superiority. No constructed hierarchy. No suspicion and skepticism.

We're different not because we're meant to isolate ourselves and alienate the other, or because anyone is better than anyone else. We're different because we need to believe, and learn to trust others, somehow, even if there are things that clash against our belief systems...

I think I'm over-idealistic. But still I believe that we can reach an equilibrium, a secure, genuine sense of harmony, because after all, what doth religions preach, but goodness and understanding to your fellow beings, different or not?

No comments: