Monday, February 04, 2008

Trip of the tongue

Presentation over! *throws confetti*

Turned out fairly well, I think... Managed to get through nearly the entire presentation with no major trips.

Nearly, yes, because towards the very end, the weird-sounding science-fiction-ish terminology (Anar-res-ti, Ur-ras-ti, Oi-ie, Sa-i-o, Si-mul-ta-ne-i-ty, Ha-i-nish, comparative-cultural-anthropology, fundamental-complexity-and-relativity...), and the sheer speed at which I was reading them, got my tongue so tied up in knots that I tripped over-- of all things!-- my lecturer's name.

"So to conclude, here's just a very brief summary again of the main thrust of my argument. Like Prof cut-ke-cup-tup-pup-pup-- Prof cut-pak... SORRY! I mean..."

The class dissolves into laughter. Prof P, at the side of the room, looks slightly amused.

"Woah, I'm sorry! Tongue got a bit--blah. Let's try this again." *deep breath* "As I was saying. Prof. Pat-Ke mentioned that..."

Gah. I was blubbering plosives like a motorcycle that refused to start, right before the class of 30-odd students. (Classmate to me later after class: "Were you gonna say Prof cupcake?" -_-) So embarrassing lar! I was nearly gonna panic when I couldn't string the two syllables of his name together in that terrifying suspension of 10 seconds.

Yet on hindsight it did seem funny, haha. I'm glad the class is amused, actually-- for most part of the seminar they were comparatively more silent than usual (probably because a good number didn't finish reading the book :P), so it was a relief to hear them laugh :) Ah well, all's well that ends well... I'm immensely grateful. Now I can crawl back to bed and sleep off this throbbing headache :)

No comments: