Monday, February 25, 2008

Feb Update

The Cherry sister asked me to update, so here I am!--albeit feeling a little sheepish because I haven't got an idea what to write about, but we'll see. Long-winded rambling often comes in useful at this stage! =D

Let's see... what happened in the past week? Valentine's Day came and gone, of course, but to be frank it didn't feel very Vdayish-- I only spent long enough time in school to catch a couple of bouquets, (which made me wonder, rather perversely, what do you actually do with them a few days later-- throw them away? I've attempted to keep a bouquet of roses--hung them upside down to get dried flowers--only to get yelled at for keeping a hoard of weird-smelling stuff in the room, after which the poor flowers had to be banished outside and finally to the bin, because I didn't know what to do with the dismal black petals that emerged a few days later...) But I digress. And should anyone began to glare at me and say "But roses are romantic!" I shall declare of course that yes, certainly they are, and one should keep the ladies happy and the economy going all the same, save that I'm still troubled about things that don't go on living for long after Vday, but that's just me being me. Perhaps it is the temporality that makes flowers so beautiful :)

Where was I? Oh-- so I came for a highly entertaining reproductive health lecture on contraceptives, with lots of rather alarming stories of what young doctors encounter in the A+E after the population had their share of various Valentines' Day trysts. Goodness. Of which (and allowing me to digress again) it might also be interesting to observe that I've been getting quite an overdose of sex education this semester from my modules. Reprod health aside, Sci-Fi and Metafiction novels have offered quite explicit scenes that would make my parents reconsider the delicacies of literary texts. Then again, most scenes have been more disturbing than anything else, with their symbolic meanings and intellectual dilemmas begging to be unpacked in every act, so--- not quite as kinky as when one reads outside the literary framework, I'm afraid.

Sigh. I would keep digressing. Vday night was spent preparing to 拜天公, but the neighbourhood was strangely silent most of the night... I would've thought there were more families observing the traditional ritual. It's always fascinating to watch the beautifully crafted paper-palace and paper money burn, starting with green-blue flickers that turn into orange-yellow flames soaring more than a metre upwards, with smoke carrying the ashes so high it almost seemed as though they were really swirling towards the sky.

(Nothing much happened on Friday, saved that I smelt strongly of smoke from the night before--but of course this is not relevant.)

Over the weekend I ism-ed, so Monday I was bereft of sleep and semi-high in general. I realised that I could sit through 9am seminars fully awake from the first minute to the last--which never happened last semester--so I gathered I must be much more fond of these modules than I ever was of Research Workshop, or 18th Century poetry, which, along with Asia Mods, made me feel extremely backward, inept and badly read--hence extreme anxiety and stress abound. Infinitely grateful for this semester's modules, which are difficult, yes, but also more engaging, somehow. And I don't feel like a misplaced honours student so much :)

Friday was another rather long, slowish seminar, and I'm extremely glad to have the grape sis there to make the hour easier to pass :) We actually had time to calculate the budget of a certain related concert *grins* But for all the complaints of the trudging pace of this module, I'm really grateful for it, because it gives me less stress and more time for my other mods in general *relief*

Which brings us to Friday night! I am actually quite fond of production meetings, long as they are, because they give me a kind of reassurance that things are moving along, and that we've involved as many different people as we could in planning and making things work out =) And I'm immensely excited about our newly assembled boyband! *beams* Such potential! If this doesn't sweep at least half (the female half) of the theatre away, I'll... eat my books.

Okay. I won't do anything of that sort. Still. A lot of VO3 is gonna be exciting, so do come for the concert, okay? I have good vibes for this one, and we have capable people at the helm, so don't miss out on it :)

K, updates for a week-and-a-half! Still got little admin stuff to tie up, so till the next entry, ciao~!

No comments: