How do I feel about the CHIJMES gig? Well, I am feeling decidedly tranquil now, after a long day, but I still stand by the fact that Reso mustn't take up any more gigs from CHIJMES anymore. (Do the people from the management google blogs for feedback, I wonder?)
If it were an unsatisfactory performance someone somewhere would get into trouble, I think. It's a painful thought, but I sincerely believe that the Reso people have put in their best for the circumstances in which we were made to sing, without a sound system, out in open air, with an event organiser who is generally a nice guy but who... well, isn't quite aware of how a cappella functions, and a stressed up management-person who is generally impatient and (clearly!) annoyed at our very presence, who gives off an almost disdainful air... The repeated emphasis to be entertaining, lively, and loud, to bounce and sway and grin widely and walk around singing, to cover as large an area as possible and to please do only fast songs, never mind if you keep repeating the same songs... it's an awful compromise of quality a cappella singing. If they wanted bouncing santarinas and merry elves they could have said so, right at the very beginning, when they promised a sound system that failed to manifest itself. (and then perhaps we could have rejected the gig, and they could have found their merry bunch of yodellers, and everybody will be happy)
But I suppose things like these ought not matter... Several things more to grumble about but the fizz has gone out of the desire to complain about lousy planning. What mattered, after all, was that the clients are happy, and I think we didn't do too badly there-- we met some very nice appreciative audiences =) (those who were near enough to hear us, that is... there is only so much that enthu-hyper bouncing and snapping and singing loudly can do.) Christmas is a time for sharing, and I'm glad there is the opportunity to share the festivity with people who are able to enjoy them.
Plus the load of hard work put into practices paid off by itself through the delightfully fun pracs talking shrieking laughing and singing together with one of the most lovable bunch of people around. The clubroom was crowded almost daily, and every practice feels like some sort of a family reunion, with the rowdy merry chatterings and familiar carols drifting down the corridors of YIH, so that you feel abuzz with the festive spirit already =)
That said, the earlier MINDS gig was a lot more rewarding one, simply from the delighted smiles and waves of the children and the adults, too. I love the kids! Was initally worried about whether they would be able to sit through a full half an hour set, but they remained relatively attentive and decidedly cheerful throughout, randomly fidgeting at times, but joining in with such gusto whenever they catch a familiar tune. I would rather dance and bounce and sing for them any day, in exchange for their happy contentment.
Shall post up pictures after I get them for my fellow singers =)
Friday, December 22, 2006
More on carolling
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment